Experimental music, photography, and adventures

Orleans 70

Monday, August 22nd, 2011

Sunday was a 70ish-mile ride out of Orleans, IN with RCCS. This was planned as a pure road ride, as Tim and I have been talking for a while about doing a faster-paced road ride on fast road bikes, rather than the usual meandering gravel monster. This was supposed to be that ride. We also had said we should meet somewhere between where we live, so no one would have to travel too far.

The problem is, Indiana roads are unpredictable. It’s very difficult to tell which will be paved, and which will be gravel. Usually, we’re seeking out gravel, and we try to plan as many gravel roads as possible. This time we had the opposite idea in mind, but we still didn’t know if all the roads would be paved or not. Tim put together a route that looked very interesting, and we scheduled the ride. Here is the route.

In the days leading up to the ride, we inspected the route more closely, and it started to look like some of the roads would be gravel. With rain in the forecast, we ultimately decided that the fast, skinny-tired road bikes were out. They wouldn’t fare well in wet gravel, which is something we had to be prepared to deal with.

The other riders in our group (David, Patrick, and Timothy) had all already chosen beefier bikes, so Sunday morning we set out, prepared for … well, we didn’t know what to expect, so, anything.

We rolled out of Orleans at 9:00 am. Here is Timothy, who was joining us for his first RCCS ride, or at least the first one that I have been on as well. He was riding a rigid, steel Trek mountain bike. He’s training for the Heck of the North ride in Duluth, MN in October. We crossed paths at the Louisville 100k populaire, but only spoke for a few minutes on that ride.


Here is Patrick, on his Rivendell Bombadil. This was my first time riding with him, though he rides with RCCS sometimes, but usually in Louisville. It was also my first time seeing a Bombadil in person, and it seemed like a fine rig, extra badass, with its second top tube.


Here are the two Tims. The day got off to a brisk start, with the two of them setting a strong pace.


We saw a lot of dogs this day, many of which gave chase. I find this photo amusing because the dogs are smiling, but David isn’t …


We made a brief stop in Campbellsburg, where Tim had to make a few fender adjustments. His front fender actually snapped off, and he had to chuck it.


Campbellsburg seemed like a scrappy little town, with lots of run-down homes. Many were worse than this — some had holes in their crumbling walls.


But, that didn’t last long. We were out in the country again, with a mild climb and some stellar views.





We went into a wonderful, mile-long decent into a valley bottom with flat fields surrounded by hills. We were less than 20 miles into the ride, and already we had some excellent highlights.




David picked up a hitchhiker in the form of a grasshopper under his front rack.


After a few flat miles, we had to pay for that stellar descent, with a long climb. It was tough, and the weather was warming up. Soon thereafter, and much to our surprise, we hit our first gravel for the day. Then there was another crazy downhill, this time on loose gravel. I wimped out and went really slowly. I’ve had a few too many crashes on these rides. Fortunately none have been serious, but I’m a little spooked when it comes to gravel downhills.


The pavement soon came back and we had another big climb. I can’t remember if this one was on pavement or gravel. Timothy sure was enjoying the ride.


After a brief section on State Road 135, we turned onto Old SR 135 for what would be a highlight of the day for many of us. A long descent, nearly two miles, with quite a few switchbacks which meant the ride was never too steep but we could build up some speed and carve through the sharp turns. This was bliss!

We stopped about halfway down to check out the views. Here comes Timothy down the hill.


We had a great view out into the distance, with the road curving well below us.


Toward the bottom, after the road straightened out, we saw several kittens alongside the road. I didn’t stop to photograph them. Soon we reached the Muscatatuck River, and another surprise. Our route had us turning here.


Naturally, we were able to crawl through and lift our bikes over the fence.We took a few photos from the bridge.



Then, we rolled on, and enjoyed a few flat paved miles, surrounded by farmland.








At this point we reached a couple miles of rough gravel.



We found a covered bridge to explore.



The small town of Medora appeared in the distance. This would be our only store stop, roughly halfway through the ride.


I kept seeing these white wildflowers, but I’m not sure what they were.


Soon we reached Medora.


A stop there was much needed. Some of us were out of water, or nearly out. We all stocked up on water, and ate some lunch. The place where we stopped served food, in addition to being a convenience store. I had brought a sandwich but some other folks bought some sandwiches there.

After refueling, we rolled out again. Everyone was moving slowly after lunch, with the heat kicking in and lunches not yet settled. We thought the return trip would be easier, but there were some more surprises in store for us.



First was the wind. We knew we had a tailwind much of the way out, but we hadn’t realized how strong it was. The wind was quite strong at times, though in some areas, we were shielded by hills, trees, etc. But when we were out in the open, we were pushing against the wind.


The reflection in this pond looked absolutely perfect. An idyllic spot, an image captured in a fraction of a second, but I could have lingered here for hours. Staring at the photo takes me right back to that spot. It’s funny, we didn’t even stop here, but I keep looking at this image and thinking how perfect that spot was.


Soon we reached the East Fork of the White River, which we would see at several points along the route.


We saw another closed bridge, but this one was not on our route.


And a lot of run-down barns and the like. For a while, the road had the river on one side, train tracks on the other, and shacks on the other side of the tracks.



Then, another surprise: more gravel. This time, in the form of an 8.5-mile stretch, with a few hills thrown into the mix. None of the hills were too extreme, but the hot conditions, dusty gravel road and some hills, made for a very challenging section of road.

It started off well enough, with some fun gravel, and even some shade.




Part of the challenge was mental. Somewhere along here, Tim and Patrick rode on ahead. I was having problems with my GPS crapping out on me (I think due to the vibration on the rough gravel), and at one point, I tried to push my sunglasses up and the lens popped out. I managed to catch it in my hand. I tossed it in my handlebar bag until I could find a good time to stop.

Every time I’d see a bit of shade, I thought maybe Tim and Patrick would be stopped there so we could regroup. My GPS kept beeping at me every time I hit a bump. I wanted to put my sunglasses back on. I just kept on riding and still, no Tim or Patrick. Eventually I just stopped and fixed my glasses, and tried to fix the GPS. Then Timothy caught up with me, and I rode with him for a while. This was a nice stretch of road, but it was too hot and I didn’t know how far ahead Tim and Patrick were, and my stomach was starting not to feel very well. I was ready to get past this road.

After what seemed like forever (and in reality was probably not more than 45 minutes), I reached the end of the road and there were Tim and Patrick. Timothy was close behind me, and David a bit behind him. We got stretched out a little bit on this road, but not by more than a few minutes.


We crossed the river, which felt like an important benchmark on the return trip. Maybe we were on the home stretch now.


Not long after that, it started raining. It never rained very hard, but it did cool us down for a few minutes — except in sunny spots, where you could feel the steam coming off the road as the rain fell. Wow. Naturally this was happening during a climb. This house was not in the greatest shape, but they did have a nice river view.


Then the road got hillier. My stomach started feeling better. I wasn’t climbing too vigorously, but I felt decent most of the time.


After a few ups and downs, the road got a bit flatter but then we were headed directly into the wind. The hot air blasting in my face made it difficult to breathe at times. I ran out of water a few blocks from the end … much further and I would’ve been in trouble in terms of water. But given that it was a 70-mile ride with only one refueling stop, it worked out perfectly.

This was just a wonderful ride all around. The scenery was great, the terrain challenging, and most importantly, I had a blast riding with these guys. RCCS rides are always fun, but having Patrick and Timothy join us made it that much better. We had a great group of riders with varying gear and philosophies. Never a dull moment with this group.

School starts back up for me in a week, so my riding will probably be more limited after that. I’m hoping to get a ride or two in this weekend, but if not, this was a great way to end the summer.

11 Responses to “Orleans 70”

  1. Bill Lambert Says:

    That was a great adventure! Thanks for the write-up with photos. I’ll be checking back on that post in the middle of winter – something to remember how green it can be in summer.

    Good Luck with school!

  2. Jon Grinder Says:

    I am aching to do something similar. The last big ride I did (virtually the last ride, maybe 40 miles since then) was with you guys, in July. I’m trying to get the Achilles tendon healed up…

    Those white flowers look like Morning Glory to me, by the way.

  3. Apertome Says:

    Jon: after googling Morning Glory, I think that is probably what I was seeing. Thanks!

  4. Tim Says:

    Jon beat me to it. Morning Glory. Pretty to look at but dang weedy!

    Had a great time on the ride. Sorry we “accordioned” more than usual. I guess I took the “tempo” ride portion too seriously. The first half of the route was so fun, but the second half so sunny, hot and bumpy. What’s sort of funny is that the gravel spot you’re speaking of along River and Tunnel Rd. was only about 4m long until we reconvened in front of that house. So we’re talking 20min maybe? It’s the back half of that gravel road that went on and on and on…

    A real top-notch ride and hope to do something similar again with such a good group. And I still want to do a standard road ride at some point. I just don’t know if we can pull it off and still follow the smallest squiggly lines.

  5. Apertome Says:

    Tim: no worries, I’m not upset about us getting spread out, not in the least. I was going as fast as I could reasonably sustain on that gravel, but it wasn’t enough. That’s fine. I knew we’d regroup eventually. I think I was talking about that long back half, but I’m not really sure. I got the sections mixed up in my head. The gravel came and went pretty randomly, for a while.

  6. David Crowell Says:

    I spent most of the time at the back of the pack, but I still had a blast.

  7. Tracy W Says:

    My Garmin Edge 305 is getting to the point where it doesn’t handle rough roads very well either. A few bumps don’t seem to matter, but continued shaking on rough roads will turn it off as well. I got to the point where I would take off the handlebars and put it in my pocket to keep from losing my ride information.

    Interestingly, I’ve never had the problem on our tandem where it’s mounted on the top tube instead of the bars. I’m guessing the honkin’ big steel frame absorbs a bunch of the hits.

    Thanks for the write-up and pics.

  8. Chandra Says:

    I bet them were some 70 awesome miles.
    BTW, those dogs look like they are workin’ dogs.
    Shaggy and Chaka say hello to y’all!

    Peace 🙂

  9. Pondero Says:

    Okay then. It’s time for the Texas contingent to get organized, regroup and do a credible ride. I’ve got that Ramble thing planned for late December, but maybe we can do something worth bragging about before then.

  10. barturtle Says:

    It was an excellent ride. The sections of gravel were great for seeing how well I’ve managed to get the bike sorted, without having access to any gravel for testing.

    Also, I love how bright the reflector on the Carradice is, you would swear in the covered bridge shot that it was a light!

    Also, to remind people the next populaire is Set 4th, and I’m using the Ice Cream Populaire route as a regular club ride Sept 24th.

  11. PaddyAnne Says:

    What wonderful countryside, thanks for taking us readers along! I love your photo with the red barn that is close to the road.. I don’t know why but I love that photo..

Ear to the Breeze is proudly powered by WordPress
Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).