Experimental music, photography, and adventures

A visit from David

Friday, March 25th, 2011

Last weekend, David was on a bike tour. He was headed to Indianapolis, by way of Bloomington. We offered to have him stay at our house overnight.

David had a hugely epic first day planned — Louisville to Bloomington — 110 hilly miles, into a headwind, carrying lots of weight. He made it as far as Bedford, IN, 80 miles into his ride, and called me to let me know he was behind schedule. I offered to come pick him up and he accepted.

It was great to have him stay with us. The evening was spent drinking beer, talking photos and GPSes, and generally goofing around. Good times.

On Sunday, David was rolling out for the second leg of his trip: 80 miles to Indianapolis. I decided to join him for part of the ride.

Read David’s post about Sunday’s ride here.

I ended up riding with David as far as Martinsville, and then turning back toward home. I had 60 miles for the day, on the Trucker, with tough headwinds and more hills on the return trip. But, I was glad to have a headwind, because that meant David would have a strong tailwind most of the day. Here’s a map of my route for the day.

In the morning, it was 40 degrees and raining — nasty. We went out for breakfast and relaxed for a while, and the rain subsided. We headed out.



You can only sort of see them, but there were a few flowers blooming alongside the road.


David was riding well. On the downhills, he flew well ahead of me. I guess the extra weight in his panniers pulled him down the hills at high speeds.


David was using some new Arkel panniers. They are HUGE, and badass.




Morgan-Monroe State Forest had some great riding in store for us.


After riding down a big hill, we found ourselves on flat ground, with a tailwind. We were flying, for a little while.



Before long, we reached Martinsville. We stopped at a gas station to get more water, and whatever else we needed. After this stop, we parted ways, he headed up to Indianapolis, and I was headed back to Bloomington, but I took a different route back.

My route back was hillier, and straight into the wind most of the way. It was quite tiring, and the Trucker felt absolutely dog slow. I’ve been spoiled, riding the Bianchi.











What started out as a nasty, cold, rainy day turned into a beautiful day for riding. It must have been in the 60s later in the day. I ended up shedding layers until I was riding in just shorts and a short-sleeved shirt. Riding relatively unencumbered felt great.

It was a pleasure to have David stay with us, and I’m glad we got to ride together, as well.

6 Responses to “A visit from David”

  1. the flat tire Says:

    Wow! it’s getting green!
    That was fast.

  2. Darin Says:

    I read David’s post the other day without realizing he was riding with you. I need to pay better attention.
    As far as weight and going downhill fast, my S.O. and I both ride truckers that are set up the same and she needs to pedal downhill just to keep up with me as I coast along with my extra eighty+ pounds of mass.

  3. John Romeo Alpha Says:

    THREE super-bright flashers on the back. Brighter is better.

  4. Doug Says:

    I love my Trucker, but I rarely use it for long rides unless I’m hauling gear. I still think about you cranking your Trucker up all those hills in PA. That was quite a feat.

  5. Apertome Says:

    JRA: you can’t really see that there’s an additional taillight (DiNotte) that’s even brighter than those SuperFlashes!

  6. Pondero Says:

    Helping a guy out, riding with a friend, and wearing a single layer…sounds like a nice combination. It sounds like you are ready for a long, fast ride on that Italian steed of yours.

Ear to the Breeze is proudly powered by WordPress
Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).