Experimental music, photography, and adventures

200km Brevet … in February?

Tuesday, January 11th, 2011

As Tim mentioned here, he and I have decided to ride a 200 km (125 mi) Brevet out of Shelbyville, KY. That would be challenging enough in itself, but the kicker is, it’s on February 19. That means very little training time is available, and who knows what the conditions will be the day of the event … I can’t help but think this seems a little insane, but I guess that’s part of the appeal.

Training in January and February is challenging to say the least. So far, I’m not doing well at it at all, but then again I just decided to do this a couple of days ago.

Still, I want to go for it. I think that I have the miles in my legs, so long as I can stay in decent shape and ramp up the miles between now and then whenever possible. But, so far, it’s not proving very possible. I managed less than 30 miles last weekend, but I have been running around doing school-related errands for the last few days. I’m hoping once I get settled into my new schedule, things will ease up a little bit, but I’m really not sure. Tonight/today we’ve gotten several inches of snow. I have been thinking about a training ride tonight, but we’ll see if conditions allow.  I was hoping to do a long road training ride this weekend, but if the snow keeps up I won’t be able to get long miles, even if I ride for a long time.

The other thing is, I want to ride the Bianchi. I know from experience that after a layoff, its posture feels a little too aggressive. Once I get used to it, it’s actually quite comfortable, but it does take some adjustment. Which means I need to train as much as possible on the Bianchi. But naturally, I really can’t take that bike out when the roads are nasty. I needed the Trucker, with its studs, for that.

So, I’m not sure how to proceed. I’ll just do what I can. I’ll be ambitious about when I ride, but I also need to be reasonable.

This is going to be fun! I just hope for a break in my schedule, and the weather, so I can do some training. This weekend will be a three-day weekend, so hopefully that will help.

2 Responses to “200km Brevet … in February?”

  1. mike Says:

    go for it! and ride the bike you’ll be most comfortable on…
    and don’t make any big changes right before the event…

  2. Tim S Says:

    that’s right. this is a 3-day weekend. If, IF, it doesn’t rain/snow/sleet/ice this weekend as forecasted, that’s potential for a couple interesting rides. i’m sort of hoping for another snow day tomorrow b/c I’d like to do the same as today, leave early and get some miles. i don’t have any brevet plans for early June, so why not be in school?

Ear to the Breeze is proudly powered by WordPress
Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).